Winning your office pool or on DraftKings requires some good sleeper picks. Due to familiarity, PGA players often top lists of sleepers from popular media sites. Here are five international players that I expect to play well at Royal Troon.
- Andy Sullivan - The Englishman heads into Royal Troon having registered top 25 finishes in his past 5 starts, including a t6th at last week’s Scottish Open and a t5th at the Open de France. Sullivan is no stranger to the winner’s circle having won 3 times on the Euro circuit in 2015.
- Tyrrell Hatton - Another Englishman who earned his way into the championship with last week’s 2nd place finish at the Scottish Open. Hatton, an unknown commodity in the U.S., has been rock solid recently with 6 top 20 finishes in his past 8 starts.
- Marc Leishman - Leishman probably shouldn’t be on a sleeper list, but the Aussie doesn’t seem to be getting the attention he deserves. Leishman fell to Zach Johnson in last year’s playoff at St. Andrews and also finished in a tie for 5th in the 2014 championship. Recently, the Aussie has played well with 3 top 20s in his past 5 starts.
- Colin Montgomerie - The wily veteran made it into this year’s Open Championship biway of one of the qualifying tournaments. The 53-year-old Monty has experienced a career of close calls at the Open Championship. Since moving to the Senior circuit, Montgomerie has been a dominant force. The real reason I like Monty this week is he is playing his home course, Royal Troon, where he is a member.
- Francesco Molinari - Rounding out the five I like is the Italian Molinari. In his last start, Molinari finished 2nd at the Open de France, his 3rd top 10 in his past 6 starts. His Open Championship is solid with 3 top 15 finishes in 8 starts.